Friday, November 4, 2011

Be the change you want to see in the world. Literally.



"The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention."
-Oscar Wilde-



What if one person really could change the world? 


I think most of us wish we could help make the world a better place, but don't know where to start. Believe me, I have used every excuse in the book. "But I'm just one person...what difference could I possible make?" "I will help others some day when I have the money to." "Who's to say that if I pay it forward, that person will even care enough to keep the chain going?"

Sound familiar?

The truth is there is no simple answer to these questions. We won't know if the person we helped was even a good person. There's no way to tell if they even needed the help. And there's certainly no way to know how much one small action will directly affect the person. But if a simple smile, a note left on a car, a $5 Starbucks gift card handed out to a random person in the drive thru, helping an elderly lady to her car with her groceries, or picking up the tab for a couple at a restaurant has the potential to brighten someone's day, why NOT do it?

I am finally done with the excuses. So today, I officially began doing simple, random acts of kindness. Each of the affected individuals was given a small card with a brief description of the project, along with my email: chainlinks08@gmail.com. My request was simple: If you choose to pay it forward--no matter how big or small the action may be--please email me your experience and I will post it to this blog. 

In truth, I am hoping each of you will take the time to pay it forward and spread the word. If you choose to do so, feel free to email me regarding your experience. I would love to share ideas with others that are interested in the chain links process, but do not know where to start.


I realize some individuals may feel uncomfortable publicly announcing their random act of kindness. If that is the case, feel free to email me about your experience receiving the favor--(How it made you feel, did it brighten your day, etc.) Those remarkable stories will inspire others to start their own chain of kindness.


I would like this project to be as anonymous as possible. We are not doing favors for others to receive any kind of "credit" whatsoever. Rather, we are on a mission to spread happiness. Our sole purpose is to trace these random acts of generosity as far back as possible so that the skeptics can finally know the truth: that one person truly can make a difference in the world. I believe that our vision is not only attainable, but that it is imperative if we want this world to be a better, safer place.

So let's start a movement.....and start making the world a better place one small act of generosity at a time. =)

Here is an eye-opening quote I saw on a billboard:


"You have never really lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you."

Well said.

No comments:

Post a Comment